Catalogue 2019 - 2020

Withdrawal from the University

If it becomes necessary for undergraduate degree students to withdraw or request a leave of absence from the University, an Application for Withdrawal or Absence from Campus form must be completed and filed with the Academic Success Center. (Please note that mid-semester Medical Leave requests will be submitted to the Dean of Students office using the Medical Leave Request form. See section on Medical Leave). Prior to completing the Application for Withdrawal or Absence from Campus form, students are expected to consult with the Dean of First Year Students & Students in Transition in order to complete a formal exit interview. Withdrawal and leave requests will be made part of the student’s permanent record maintained in Enrollment Services.

When extenuating circumstances prevent a student from filing the form in person, an application for withdrawal by email is acceptable. The email should state the reasons necessitating the withdrawal and should be directed to the Dean of First Year Students. In the case of graduate and professional students, withdrawal forms are filed with the Law School Registrar or the academic dean’s office of the college in which the student’s major is administered.

The effective date of an official withdrawal is the date the student submits written notification of the intent to withdraw to the University’s designated offices as described in this policy. If a student leaves the University without providing official notification, the withdrawal date is the midpoint of the payment period or period of enrollment, as applicable, or the date of an academically-related activity in which the student participated. Academically-related activities include physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students; submitting an academic assignment; taking an exam, an interactive tutorial or computer-assisted instruction; attending a study group that is assigned by the University; participating in an online discussion about academic matters; and initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.

Any approved refunds will be computed on the basis of the effective date described above. Absence from class without completing a withdrawal form does not constitute withdrawal, and submission of course drop forms may not substitute for a withdrawal. Refunds are made in accordance with the Tuition Refund Schedule and the Room and Board Refund Schedule. Students who withdraw with an unpaid balance will be financially liable for any amount remaining unpaid after a refund credit, if any, has been applied to the balance. Students who withdraw from the University will have transcripts withheld until all financial obligations have been met.

Any refund resulting from a reduction in the number of hours registered will be made on the basis of the above schedule. Students taking between 12 and 18 hours per term will not have any adjustment in tuition if, after the course reduction, they are still enrolled in 12 to 18 credit hours. The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 require students receiving Federal Title IV financial assistance who withdraw or otherwise cease attendance on or before 60 percent of the way through the semester to have their assistance reduced based on calendar days enrolled versus the length of the semester. Programs affected are Pell Grants, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants, Federal Direct Ford Subsidized Loans, Federal Direct Ford Unsubsidized Loans, and Federal Direct Ford Plus Loans but not Federal Work-Study. The calculation of the amount to be returned to these funds may result in the student owing a balance to the University and/or the Federal Government. Institutional scholarships and grants will be adjusted according to the same percentage as tuition charges. State Aid will be adjusted according to the same percentage as the federal aid.

(See the section on Procedure for Withdrawing.)