Catalogue 2012 - 2013

Controlled Substances Act

Part of the federal omnibus drug legislation is the “Drug-Free Workplace” Act of 1988. Under the provisions of this legislation federal grants or contracts must certify that they will provide drug-free work places; individuals receiving funding directly from the federal government will also have to certify that their conduct will be drug free. In the case of colleges and universities, the Department of Education has said individual Pell Grant recipients will have to certify that they are drug free to receive their student aid awards.

If colleges and universities do not promote drug-free work places, drug-free awareness programs, or establish procedures for reporting violations, they are subject to sanctions including suspension of payments, suspension or termination of grants, or debarment, thus ineligible to receive grants or awards from a federal agency during the term of debarment.

Students applying for financial aid involving federal funding must certify that they are drug free, and that they will remain drug free, in order to receive such federally funded student aid awards. Appropriate forms for such certification are available in the Office of Student Administrative Services of the University.

No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to the said student such opportunity. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any students who avail themselves of the provisions of this section.