Catalogue 2012 - 2013

Procedure for Withdrawing

If it becomes necessary for full-time degree students to withdraw or request a leave of absence from the University, an official form must be completed and filed with the Academic Support Center. This form will be made part of the permanent record maintained in Student Administrative Services (SAS). Prior to completing the withdrawal form, full-time degree students are expected to consult with the dean of First Year Students and Students in Transition in order to complete a formal exit interview. When such conditions as severe illness or absence from the area prevent a student from filing the withdrawal form in person, an application for withdrawal by mail is acceptable. A letter should state the reasons necessitating the withdrawal and should be mailed to the dean of First Year Students and Students in Transition. In the case of part-time or graduate students, withdrawal forms are filed with the Academic Dean’s Office of the College in which the student’s major is administered. The date recorded by the reviewing administrator is considered to be the date of withdrawal.

Any approved refunds will be computed on the basis of this date. Absence from class without completing a withdrawal form does not constitute withdrawal and submission of course drop forms may not substitute for a withdrawal. No refunds are made on any fees other than tuition (with the exception of the dorm damage deposit). Students who withdraw with an unpaid balance will be financially liable for any amount remaining unpaid after a refund credit, if any, has been applied to the balance. No student may withdraw from the University in good standing unless all financial obligations have been met.

Any refund resulting from a reduction in the number of hours registered will be made on the basis of the above schedule. Students taking between 12 and 17 hours per term will not have any adjustment in tuition if, after the course reduction, they are still enrolled in 12 to 17 credit hours. The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 require students receiving Federal Title IV financial assistance who withdraw on or before 60 percent of the way through the semester to have their assistance reduced based on calendar days enrolled versus the length of the semester. Programs affected are Pell Grants, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Ford Subsidized Loans, Federal Direct Ford Unsubsidized Loans, and Federal Direct Ford Plus Loans but not Federal Work-Study. The calculation of the amount to be returned to these funds may result in the student owing a balance to the University and/or the Federal Government. Institutional scholarships and grants will be adjusted according to the same percentage as the tuition charges. State Aid will be adjusted according to the same percentage as the federal aid.